HARDSHIP FUND CRITERIA
- Be referred to the Society by a community based social worker.
- Be born in the United Kingdom or one of the Commonwealth nations and/or be a first degree relative (son or daughter) of a mother or father born in the United Kingdom or a Commonwealth nation.
- Be legally in the United States.
- Be able to provide proof of British or Commonwealth heritage. (Passport, birth certificate, green card).
- Have a genuine need for assistance. (Proof of lack of funds, savings and/ or assets)
- Agree to a home visit by the Society’s social workers.
Providing services for people in crisis, many facing homelessness. The overriding goal of the UKares Beneficiary Program is to prevent homelessness by providing rent assistance for the British and Commonwealth, elderly and disabled Los Angeles.
Most people who seek assistance from the UKares have enjoyed a normal lifestyle, which becomes interrupted by illness or some other disruption to their income. Within a very short space of time they find themselves in debt and then in crisis. Help may not be available from the State and often they face the prospect of eviction.
Our support enables expats to make ends meet, pay rent, buy medication, afford public transportation and generally enhances their quality of life. The financial assistance we provide is supplemented by much-needed emotional support from our volunteering social workers and therapists.